Type of employment: Full time one-year contract
Starting date: As soon as possible
Location: Consulate General of Denmark in New York, 885 Second Avenue 18th Floor, New York, NY 10017
Deadline for application: July 30, 2018
The Joint Administration of the Consulate General of Denmark and Permanent Mission of Denmark to the United Nations in New York is hiring a full-time accountant to start as soon as possible.
You will be part of a dynamic, international environment consisting of several teams working closely together: Joint Administration and Finance, Trade Council, Invest in Denmark, Culture and Press, Consular Services and the UN Mission. Besides the staff in New York, you will be working with colleagues in Washington DC, Houston, Chicago, Silicon Valley, Toronto, Ottawa, Mexico City and our headquarters, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in Copenhagen.
The accountant will be part of the Administrative Service Centre (ASC) that services the Danish missions in North America. The job will have wide-ranging tasks and responsibilities, including being the Key Account Manager for several ASC clients and internal departments at the Consulate General and the UN Mission. You will report to the Chief Services Officer. In this position, you will be completing financial tasks (e.g. postings, payments, reconciliations, payroll), as well as budgeting and financial reporting. The accountant should also have a flair for handling administrative tasks (e.g. planning and executing, logistics, IT, etc.). You are expected to show the flexibility required for optimal handling of the entire portfolio of the Consulate and be ready to contribute to tasks outside your own portfolio.
Your skills and success criteria:
As an accountant, you are measured on the value you create for your clients, your reliability and level of service as well as ability to communicate clearly and openly. You have an eye for detail, but you are also able to see the bigger picture. You have a positive personality and are results-oriented, professional, self-motivated and appreciate a highly energetic work environment where we continuously strive to create value for our clients, support each other, work smarter, look for innovation, and have fun. Working in an environment where the agenda can easily change, we are looking for an accountant who is flexible, open-minded and can think out of the box.
Main tasks and responsibilities as an Accountant:
- Internal Key Account Manager for ASC-clients and internal departments
- Postings in the financial systems
- Reconciliations (bank, balance accounts, interim accounts etc.)
- Invoicing to customers through a CRM system
- Follow up on debtors and creditors
- Expense settlements for all employees (travels expenses and other outlays)
- Budgeting and financial reporting
- Prepare quarterly financial statements
Requirements for the position:
- Deep understanding of finance and budget management
- Minimum 2-4 years professional experience in finance and accounting
- Good experience with ERP systems (Navision) and bank payments
- Ability to work on multiple projects at once and to meet deadlines
- Super user in Microsoft Office - Excel, Word and Outlook
- Fluent in English (written and spoken), and ideally Danish.
- Administration experience (e.g. logistics, IT, planning, project management)
- Great interpersonal skills and team player abilities as well as interest in and willingness to share knowledge with – and learn from – colleagues.
- Knowledge of the US tax rules and system would be an advantage Necessary personal characteristics:
- Customer and service-minded
- A team player, yet able to work independently
- Flexible and able to prioritize
- Proactive, takes initiatives and follows through
- A problem-solver, innovative and solution-oriented
- Reliable and consistent in your work
- Attentive to detail
- Ability to work under time pressure
- Focused, solution-oriented and efficient
- Interdisciplinary cooperation, ability to work with cross-functional teams
- You want to be helpful and seek to lend a hand
- A positive approach to handling of assignments
- You will be offered full-time employment for one year with the possibility of extension.
- You will be entitled to five weeks (25 days) of paid holiday per year.
- Your salary will reflect your qualifications, relevant experience and proven work-related results.
- As part of your salary you can be covered by a workplace pension scheme.
- You and your dependant family members will be offered reasonable coverage of sickness expenses
Application and recruitment process:
To apply for the position, please send your application (cover letter, CV, proof of relevant education, recommendations and 2-3 references) in English to the Consulate General at email@example.com.
Please title the subject line: “Accountant Application. Your name”
Application deadline: July 30, 2018.
The Consulate General attaches great importance to equal opportunities for all and therefore welcomes applications from all qualified persons regardless of race, sex, religion, age or disability.
Selected candidates will be invited for interviews – expected to take place during the second or third week of January.
The chosen candidate must present a “No Criminal Record” and pass security clearance by the Danish authorities prior to appointment.
For any questions regarding this position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone +1 (212) 223 4545. About us The Consulate General is part of the Danish Foreign Service.
The Consulate General is an ambitious, high-paced and dynamic workplace with approximately 65 employees, 12 of whom are posted from the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The Consulate General has a flat management structure.
For more information about the Consulate General, see http://usa.um.dk/en/about-us/consulategeneral-of-denmark---new-york